New postings on GRW (fwd)

Anthony Brach (brach@oeb.harvard.edu)
Sat, 23 May 1998 06:09:00 -0400 (EDT)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 23:57:08 -0400
From: Ron Myhr <rmyhr@pathcom.com>
Subject: New postings on GRW

Hello all,

I've just posted about 125 additional images to the
Gesneriad Reference Web
(http://home.pathcom.com/rmyhr/).

A number of these are new Aeschynanthus images from
Toshijiro Okuto, in Japan, including the spectacularly
beautiful A. chrysanthus, which is now the homepage
pinup. Many others are from John Boggan, and include
some very beautiful, rare and unusual plants (e.g.
Paliavana tenuiflora, Kohleria amabilis var bogotensis,
K. 'Selby', Capanea grandiflora). And a bunch are from
Dale Martens, including some of her award-winning
hybrids (e.g. Streptocarpus 'Texas Fantasy') and an
assortment of interesting and seldom seen species and
hybrids.

Additional photos will be posted in the next few days,
including more Aeschynanthus from Mr. Okuto, and photos
I took recently while visiting the Smithsonian
greenhouses in Washington. Mary Mendum of the Royal
Botanic Gardens in Edinburgh has sent me a promised
article on Aeschynanthus, and this will be assembled
into an illustrated piece on the site, making use of
the many Aeschynanthus images that I now have. The
current issue of CrossWords has been received from
Dale Martens, and will also be posted in the near
future. Dirk Bellstedt of South Africa has sent a
number of new, interesting and attractive photos of
Streptocarpus species, and these are scheduled for
processing and posting in early July.

In the longer term, Larry Skog of the Smithsonian has
generously loaned me a large number (almost a hundred)
slides of Columnea species assembled over the last 20
or 30 years. I will be posting these images, and
hopefully associating them with an article on this
large and interesting group.

All images have been processed using Polyview
(www.polybytes.com), and pages created with Microsoft
FrontPage 98.

Hope you like the new stuff.

Ron